Sunday, August 30, 2009
Surprise #1
I have been full of surprises the last few weeks. Surprise #1 - I surprised Kelly with a trip to the OR coast for our anniversary. I told him we were going to do something so to leave the weekend open. My good friend Tracy has a beach house and she offered it to us for the weekend. So Friday I packed all of our stuff but left Kelly's bathroom stuff out so he would be confused. When we got ready to lave he says are we coming back tonight? No. Well don't I need my toothbrush? No. So he heads out I grab his toiletries and we go. Then he says there are clothes in my closet that I was going to wear this weekend. . . I give in and say, if there is anything that you think you will need that later you will say I wish I had why don't you go get it. He comes back with his arms full of stuff! So untrusting :) So we are off! And as we are getting close to the airport he says are we going to be traveling for a while? Yes. So I pull into the airport exit lane and say - but I didn't say we were going to be traveling by car. . . !!! His eyes get big and he says ARE YOU SERIOUS!! Ha ha ha, no. And I pull back into the main lane and we go on. Then I say Oh do you have your passport with you!!! Eyes big again. NO!!! Do I need my passport? If I need my passport we need to go back and get it? Are we going to Canada?! If we are going to Canada I need my passport!! No, but you have your DL right? SERIOUSLY KRISTIN!! Do I need my passport. No your DL will be fine (hehehehe) So we are driving and he is having a minor anxiety attack. I forgot how much he hates surprises. The last time I took him on a surprise trip was when we were dating. Note to self - no more surprises. Again - so untrusting that I wouldn't take care of him. He doesn't like the unknown so of course to help with this anxiety I continue to throw in "clues" that have nothing to do with what we are doing. My efforts to distract him with singing or the license plate game were not appreciated. He did start to feel better when he realized we were heading towards Portland. He is becoming comfortable with the situation time to throw in another bad clue, so we take the Tillamook exit he totally opens the door for me to lead him astray again. He says Hey Tillamook - that's where they make cheese! And I say that's why we're going there! Didn't you know cheese is the traditional anniversary gift for your 12th anniversary? He looks at me incredulously and I bat by innocent eyes, for a second I think he started to believe and then he says nuh-uh. So I back it up with call Heather! He says no because she is probably in on it, so I say, ask Sunny. I knew I could count on Sunny because he loves cheese and to him cheese is really a gift for all occasions so he would surely say yes. Kelly - so untrusting - calls his friend who is on an internet search for cheese as an anniversary gift and I am in the drivers seat cracking myself up. For those that care the traditional 12 yr anniversary gift is silk and linen. We finally made it and had a great weekend! It was so relaxing and Tracy spoiled us with a gift and hand made card. The ocean was beautiful, the weather was perfect and we had a great anniversary. Kelly loved it - he still maintains he doesn't love surprises but he was very appreciative of the effort to make our anniversary special and once we were there he had a really enjoyable time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
more blog! please! I love to hear from you.
ReplyDelete