Saturday, February 28, 2009

El Pato!

If only I could title this the way Kelly says it! Because it always makes me laugh. It is more like Ellll Pa-tooooo! For those of you that don't know what El Pato is let me fill you in. El Pato is a spicy tomato sauce that is delicious on burritos and taco salad and tamales and anything really. I would suggest you pick some up the next time you are in the Hispanic isle at your local grocery store. It will spice up your life! Comes in a little yellow can with a duck on it - which I just learned is what el pato means! Now, what that has to do with spicy tomato sauce I don't know but I never noticed that that is what was on the front of the can and I have been eating it for 30 years! It was one of my first foods - El Pato and chips. The Foote family uses it like salsa. And we either use it directly out of the can by by putting two triangle holes in the top (if anyone knows what that can opener is called let me know) or if you are at Granny's, in the "make your own" italian dressing bottle. The first time Kelly joined us for burritos at the Clint Foote's everyone was standing around the counter making their burritos adding El Pato as the final topping and heading off to the table eat. Kelly picked it up, looked at it, I think he muttered "hmm" and poured it on, pour is the operative word here. I sprinkle and I have been eating it all my life. As delicious as it is, it is not for the faint of heart. Poor unsuspecting fellow. His first bite of burrito was a whole new experience in culinary flavor. Eyes watering, nose runny he turned to me and through gasps of "hhhaaaaa" asked "what is that!" After handing him a glass of milk I said "El Pato!" A few more cautious dinner experiences and he is now a fan. When I make taco salad and get out the El Pato he makes his plate, picks up the can and and fondly exclaims "Ellll Pa-toooo!" as he sprinkles it on.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, Kristin - if he says it with the American accent that I am hearing in my head right now I am just laughing out loud!!!!! :o) My mom has used El Pato's enchilada sauce for AGES for her homemade enchiladas. YUM!!!!! Oh, man, I heart Mexican food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo... I finally found your blog today.

    Anyway, I love everything about this post! Zach had the exact same experience when he first tried el pato. My roommates all call it the duck sauce. I teach everyone I know about el pato...and everyone loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it fun bringing outside people into our family! Offff course they do! Did you know it had a duck on it? Weird! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaah yes, El Pato! Yes Zach put A LOT on and took a huge bite too...but his was doubly HOT because it was on a GREEN CHILE burrito!! :)

    ReplyDelete